Filing for divorce can be a troubling process, especially when you aren’t sure where to turn or who to trust with your case. At Miller Law Offices, P.C., I strive to alleviate that stress and anxiety by acting as the legal resource and personal advocate you need. Specifically, I like to start off our relationship on the right foot by:
- Offering you an initial consultation
- Answering all of your questions during our talk
- Listening to understand your unique situation and perspective
If, after our first meeting, you decide that I am in fact the right lawyer to handle your divorce, I will immediately get to work on building you a customized legal plan. As your case proceeds, you can expect the same treatment you received during our initial talk. That is, clear answers, an accessible and responsive attorney, and the utmost respect for you and your situation.
Illinois Grounds for Divorce
In the state of Illinois, there is only one ground for divorce, Irreconcilable Differences. Irreconcilable Differences requires a showing of the following:
- Irreconcilable Differences have arisen
- An irreparable breakdown of the marriage has ocurred
- The parties have lived separate and apart for a continuous period greater than six months
- Efforts at reconciliation have failed
- Further attempts at reconciliation would not be in the best interest of the parties
It is worth noting that the requirement that the parties live separate and apart has been interpreted by the appellate courts as meaning that the parties have not been physically intimate, not that they live in separate residences. Nothing about the divorce process is easy, and it can be an emotional process, but you can certainly walk away with a sense of closure if you have been protected and not taken advantage of. Part of my job is helping you express what you’ve been through in a way that benefits your case.