After graduating from Illinois Valley Central High School in Chillicothe, Illinois, I enlisted in the United States Navy where I spent the next four years serving my country at home and overseas. I was stationed at many places throughout the country, including Illinois, California and Texas. I served overseas for over two years at U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I still value and use the many skills I learned in the military such as discipline, hard work, integrity, toughness and persistence.
When my enlistment was up, I came back to Illinois and attended Illinois State University. I pursued a degree in Political Science, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree, Magna Cum Laude. While a student at Illinois State University, I became a member of Golden Key International Honor Society and President of Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honor Society).
After graduating from Illinois State University, I enrolled in law school at Northern Illinois College of Law where I was on the Dean’s list for four semesters. During law school I became fascinated with criminal law and the criminal justice system. I worked as a student attorney at the Peoria County State’s Attorney’s Office and completed my first jury trial while still in law school. I then became a student attorney at the Northern Illinois College of Law Criminal Defense Clinic, defending indigent clients under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
After graduating from law school and passing the Illinois Bar Examination, I accepted a position as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Peoria County, where I was in court every day of the week trying cases. While at the Peoria County State’s Attorney’s Office, I received rapid promotion, from traffic to misdemeanor prosecutor after only three months (the normal promotion time is nine months to one year).
While an Assistant State’s Attorney, I gained a lot of experience in the courtroom, often undergoing a trial every week, which enhanced my trial skills.
In April 2008, I opened my own law practice with my business partner and former prosecutor, Robert Pugh. In January 2014, the Firm of Miller & Pugh Law Offices, P.C. changed names to Miller Law Offices, P.C. Criminal, Traffic and DUI defense continue to be my areas of concentration. I enjoy the work and derive a great deal of satisfaction utilizing my knowledge and skills fighting to achieve the best results for my clients and protecting their constitutional rights.
Areas of Practice
- DUI / DWI Defense
- Criminal Defense
- Drug Crime Defense
- License Reinstatement
- Divorce and Child Custody
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois
- Honors: Dean’s List Four (4) Semesters
- Honors: NIU Moot Court
- Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois
- B.A. magna cum laude
- Honors: Golden Key National Honor Society
- Honors: Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society
- Major: Politics and Government
- People’s Law School / Issues in DUI & Criminal Law, Illinois Central College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Peoria County Bar Association, Criminal Division, Member
- American Inns of Court, Abraham Lincoln Inn, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- American Society of Legal Advocates: Top 40 under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyer for 2014
Past Employment Positions
- Peoria County State’s Attorney, Assistant State’s Attorney
- Northern Illinois Criminal Defense Clinic, Student Attorney
- Peoria County State’s Attorney, Student Attorney
- Malmquist & Geiger, Law Clerk
- U.S. Postal Service, Letter Carrier
- United States Navy, Sailor
Stay Connected with Miller Law Offices, P.C.!
For important information and the latest firm news, follow Miller Law Offices, P.C. on these websites: